Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Join me


I'm a foodie. I admit it: I. LOVE. FOOD > period. But I don't just appreciate good taste. For me, it's about the color. As a photographer OBSESSED with color, I expect the same excitement in the food I'm cooking. Not only is it more fun to look at, it's usually more tasty and MUCH better for your health.

Recently, I made the decision to eat vegetarian and serve vegetarian dishes in my home (and I'm not maintaining this lifestyle on my own...I have incredible support from the hubby, Matt, who now also enjoys and appreciates the veg life). I'm working hard at this lifestyle. And it IS hard. Here's why:
1 - Effort: As a frequent local restaurant hopper, it's a conscious decision to ask questions about the menu. Are there animal products in your food? If so, what? I'll eat eggs and dairy but sometimes the broth is beef or chicken.
2 - Options: Not all restaurants understand the diet. I say "what are your vegetarian options?" and they say "we have some salads you can look at". Well, that's easy. I could have come to that myself. No, what I need is dishes with beans or nuts or soy protein. See? Not so available at your local Bob Evans (sometimes I just HAVE to go for a yummy roll).
3 - Inconvenience: Apparently I'm a naturally high-maintenance person. Per my friends. And family. And husband (occasionally...and in an oh so kind and gentle voice). Whatever. But if I am, not interested in fueling it. So, I find myself just ordering that salad from #2 above, and shaking with hunger later. But guess what that has done in turn? Has me digging for recipes, getting back into the "test kitchen" and doing what I love. Cooking my version of every dish I love when I go out.  And also trying new ones of course:)

But the benefits out way the "hardships".  Read some of those reasons (whether you agree or not) here.

That brings me to the reason for this blog. Same reason I had my last restaurant blog: because I can't do anything I love without sharing. Here, you'll have access to every recipe I find tasty, colorfully, and beneficial! Some of you might be my lucky taste-testers (have a few in mind already!) but most of all, I hope this is a place to communicate - to hear about your favorite recipes and resources so I can constantly be expanding my dining options! And you will find the occasional restaurant review. I can't help it. But it'll mostly be local Columbus or a locally owned restaurant experience during my travels.

Enjoy the colorful and wonderful recipes coming your way and leave your thoughts!





1 comment: