Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Basic Veggie Tomato Barley

I love this recipe, which came from my love for pasta with a hearty sauce. In an attempt to pull more grains into my diet, I decided to swap the barley in place of the penne noodles. The result was fantastic!


MAKES: roughy 4-6 servings of about 1+ cup each

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup barley prepared according to directions on the bag, except remove from heat about 2 mins before its done.
- 2T olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 small-medium zucchinis, sliced round and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped. I used a mandolin to julianne my carrots, shredding from the bottom fat end of the carrot to get short pieces.
- Salt to taste - maybe 1-2 tsp. This really depends on the type of pasta sauce you're using.
- 1 small bunch of your favorite herb(s). Try and use one that compliments your sauce the best.
- 15 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce - I used a merlot sauce.

DIRECTIONS:
1 - sauté garlic and onions in oil until soft
2 - add chopped zucchini an carrot and simmer, covered, until they have reached your desired crispness. I cooked about 6-8 mins.
3 - add pasta sauce, beans, barley, salt, and herb of your choice. Stir. Bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 10-12 mins.
4 - serve immediately with an herb garnish of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment