Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

I LOVE avocados

Obsessed, I say. I buy 2-3 a week just to put them on salads, sandwiches AND to make guacamole (my fave use for avocados). Usually when I make guacamole, it's the typical Chipotle-style guac - red onion, cilantro, garlic, salt/pepper, avocado, lime juice - but tonight I was making veggie burritos with brown rice, black beans, tomatoes, green onion, yellow onion, yellow pepper, and guac. I had to get creative w/out cilantro and red onion...but I didn't really want that taste anyway. I wanted something fresh and a little more natural tasting. And as it happens often, I just looked at what I had and threw it together, tasting often until I had the EXACT flavor I was looking for. So, here you have it. My version of guac. Simple Guac but it was SOOOOO good. (btw, I'm sure there's a recipe in the world like this. If you find one, please share so I can compare and vary mine!)

- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 inch slice of a whole yellow onion, diced
- About 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 small vine ripened tomato (could be roma or cherry) seeded and diced
- Roughly 1/2 tsp of salt but please salt to taste...everyone likes a different amount.

Mash all these ingredients together in a bowl until combine. It will be chunky...but if you'd prefer it smoother, mash with a fork until you get the desired consistency.

And, the final product:)

2 comments:

  1. Here's an awesome protein packed breakfast option with avocados:
    Morning Star Veggie Sausage
    Egg White Egg Beaters with sautéed peppers and onions
    1/2 Avocado
    a little salt and pepper

    Just mix it all together= delicious!

    I buy about 3 avocados a week too! They are SOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Lucy!!! I'll FOR SURE check that one out.

    ReplyDelete